In-vitro fertilization is one of the most recommended treatments for infertile couples. It is indeed considered as a miracle by infertile couples that have embraced the joy of parenthood through IVF. Among all the other fertility measures, IVF is an expensive and time consuming but it has provided best results in those cases where people has lost all hopes.
It is important to understand that IVF is an assisted reproductive technique and clinicians and embryologists do it manually but you may not get the desired result always. Failure of an IVF cycle is the most depressing and frustrating thing for a couple who is longing for a child.
What is In-Vitro Fertilization?
In-vitro fertilization is an effective way to overcome male or female factor infertility. In an IVF cycle, the specialist creates an embryo by fusing the egg and sperm for the fertilization process to take place in the laboratory. The technique is unique as the process of fertilization takes place outside the human body unlike other fertility treatments.
Causes for the Failure of an IVF Cycle:
The failure of an IVF treatment depends on many factors and it is not possible for one to control all of them. All they can do is to stay cautious and implement best industry practices. Some of the medical causes are as follows:
- The quality of the eggs is a major factor that can leads to the failure of the cycle. The advanced women age can be a reason behind the poor quality of eggs.
- The other important aspect is the quality of the sperm. If the sperm count is low, has poor motility or morphology, is fragmented or has any other issue.
- Thin endometrium lining is another reason for the failure of an IVF treatment. This could be due to previous surgery or poor intra uterine blood flow.
- Any discrepancy during embryo transfer or implantation dysfunction that impedes the attachment of the embryo within the uterine lining.
These are some common causes that results in the failure of an IVF cycle but it can be prevented if only one prepares one self beforehand. Here are some points that play an important role if you are planning for the next IVF cycle:
- Age of the couple
- Quality and quantity of sperms and eggs
- Quality of laboratory
- Expertise the specialist
- Quality of the embryo
- Uterine environment
The above mentioned factors play an important role in an IVF cycle and it is important for the couples to consider them before they make a move towards their next cycle. A little change may be required such as change in fertility drugs or using a sperm or egg donor to enhance the chances of a successful IVF cycle.