Many of the female experience problems with irregular periods can be due to hormonal imbalances known as Polycystic Ovarian syndrome (PCOS) recognized by multiple small cysts in their ovaries. In this condition, the ovary is enlarged; and produces excessive amounts of androgen and estrogenic hormones. The secretion of hormones in the much amount along with the absence of ovulation can result in infertility.
Causes of PCOD
- Hormonal imbalance:-Due to excess secretion of estrogen and progesterone hormone can be the leading cause of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
- Increased level of androgen: – Hirsutism is the occurrence of facial growth in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is due to hormonal changes in androgens.
- Family History:- Heredity and sometimes genetic reasons can also be a cause of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
Symptoms of PCOD
Following are the symptoms of PCOD which, if not treated earlier, can lead to further clinical problems.
- Irregular periods
- Reduced fertility
- Cardiac problems
- Excessive hair on body and face
- Irregular or abnormal periods: Pain and bleeding during periods
- Pelvic pain also occurs during periods, with heavy bleeding. This may also occur when a woman is not suffering from menstrual cycle.
Diet for PCOD by Dr. Rita Bakshi
Diet and Exercise plays an important role in preventing Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
- High Fibre Diet: – Oats, lentils, bran chapatti, flaxseeds, etc. are rich sources of fibre helps in the bowel movement. It also maintains the level of hormones.
- Fruits and Green Leafy vegetables: – Dark colored fruits and green leafy vegetables are a rich source of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants helps in preventing oxidative stress.
- Nuts and Oilseeds: – Essential fatty acids are required for the prevention of cardiac problems like heart attacks, hypertension, etc. Nuts and oilseeds are healthy fats helps in weight management.
- Increase water intake: – Water helps in keeping the body hydrated and also eliminates the toxic materials from the body. Intake of much water accounts for the fewer intakes of foods.
If you have any query related to this, Please let us know by submitting your queries in the section mentioned below or write us at [email protected]