04 Nov 10 factors that can affect your sperm quality
Low sperm count is one of the leading causes of male infertility. It always takes two to make a baby and a man has a leading role in pregnancy. According to studies, around 15 percent of couples are unable to conceive a child after a year or more of unprotected sex.
Sperm count decreases with the increase in age. Male fertility starts to decline after 40 when sperm quality decreases.
Factors that affect sperm quality
1. Smoking: Heavy smoking has detrimental effect on the motility of the sperm. Many studies have shown cigarette smoking has a deleterious effect on both male and female reproductive systems and fertility.
2. Excessive caffeine consumption: Heavy caffeine consumption has been linked to several sperm problems. Mostly found in coffee, tea, chocolate, cola, energy drinks, and some medications.
3. Pesticides reduces semen quality: Pesticides are responsible for lowering semen quality and causing infertility. Several studies have proved the newly tested pesticides can block male hormone receptors in ways that could affect fertility in men.
4. Abusing Substances/Drugs: According to studies, sperm count can be impaired by up to 50 percent due to heavy use of cocaine or marijuana. In fact, there are specific compounds in marijuana that are detectable by a sperm’s receptors, impairing their ability to swim and penetrate an ovum.
5. Alcohol: Alcohol damages the quality, structure and movement of sperm. It reduces the levels of testosterone, leading to the loss of libido.
6. Depression: Depression is also If you are suffering depression and emotional stress, it is time to relieve it as early as possible. Besides, there are many lifestyle and environmental causes of low sperm count.
7. Weight Issues: Some of the latest research indicates, obese men are at risk for lower sperm counts.
8. Deficiencies in Nutrition: Inadequate levels of nutrients such as zinc, vitamin C, folate, and selenium are nutrients that can cause issues with sperm count.
9. Lubricants: The doctors’ believe most vaginal lubricants, including K-Y Jelly, Surgilube, and Lubifax, are toxic to sperm. Couples should avoid their use during the fertile time of a woman’s cycle.
10. Infections: Male partners may have infections of their reproductive tract. These may include infections of the prostate (prostatitis), of the epididymis (epididymitis), or of the testes (orchitis). They should immediately seek treatments at the fertility clinic.
If you have any query related to this, Please let us know by submitting your queries in the section mentioned below or write us at email@example.com