Calcium is not only beneficial for your baby’s bone development but also for proper body functioning. Our body is highly rich in calcium as 99% of calcium gets stored in our bones and teeth. Calcium helps in making your baby’s bones and teeth stronger and also improve nerve functioning and prevent blood clotting. A common consequence of calcium deficiency is Rickets, where the bones become softer and are easily breakable.
How much calcium will my baby need?
- If you baby’s age group is between 0 to 6 months, 300 mg of calcium on daily basis is advised.
- For babies between 7-12 months, 450 mg of calcium daily is sufficient.
- If your child’s age group is between 1 to 3 years, 500mg of calcium every day is essential.
- For babies among 4-6 years, 550 mg/day of calcium is best.
- If your child is under the age group of 7 to 9 years, 700 mg of calcium per day is vital.
- Children aged 9-18 years require daily intake of 100 mg of calcium.
Which are the best calcium boosting foods for my baby?
If your baby is a newborn, breast milk is the best source of nutrition of your baby but it contains less amount of calcium compared to formula milk. When your baby reaches towards one year, you can feed more solid foods to your baby. Below is a list of calcium-rich foods which will strengthen your baby’s bones and ensure health heart and nervous development.
- Milk with added chocolate flavor as per taste
- Cooked Spinach
- Calcium Fortified cereals
- Soy milk
Calcium is an important mineral for your baby’s health. Not only for babies, in fact, Calcium should be a part of everyone’s diet as it keeps your bones strong in old age and is responsible for your overall body’s development. Having a glass of milk daily or milk cereals is a great way to begin your day.
If you have any query related to this, Please let us know by submitting your queries in the section mentioned below or write us at [email protected]