09 Oct Does PGS and PGD Increase the Potential of Successful Pregnancy?
Changing lifestyle and reproductive problems are the immediate cause of infertility nowadays. But the introduction of some modern techniques like Preimplantation Genetic Screening and Preimplantaion Genetic Diagnosis helps in successful pregnancy. We will discuss about these techniques in detail.
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)
This process is done with in-vitro fertilization (IVF) and performed before the embryo transfer. The aim of PGD is to analyse the abnormal embryos to avoid their transfer and keeping safe the healthy embryos.
Preimplantation genetic diagnosis is a process of removing a cell from an IVF embryo to test it for a particular genetic condition like cystic fibrosis before its transfer to the uterus. PGD assists in identifying the presence of chromosomal translocations and single-gene disorders. There are over 4,000 single-gene disorders.
Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS)
Females, who are suffering from infertility or are unable to conceive can choose the technique of PGS for acquiring pregnancy. For aneuploidy, the embryos are screened to avoid miscarriage and implantation failure.
How does PGS works at Dr. Rita Bakshi’s clinic?
Preimplantation Genetic screening is a type of the IVF process involves the following procedures:-
- Stimulation of female ovaries to make multiple eggs grow.
- Process of egg retrieval
- Fertilization occurs through ICSI
- Development of the embryo in the laboratory occurs after 3- 5 days.
Benefits of PGS
- By the help of PGS, the number of embryos with an incorrect number of chromosomes can be minimized before transfer to the womb.
- Miscarriage occurs due to chromosome abnormalities and this aneuploidy of chromosomes can be screened through PGS.
- Selection of normal chromosomes increases the chances of achieving pregnancy with IVF.
Benefits of PGD
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis can:
- Assist the transfer of embryos, which is devoid of aneuploidy.
- Couples who are at genetic risk.
- Lowers the risk of miscarriage.
If you have any query related to this, Please let us know by submitting your queries in the section mentioned below or write us at firstname.lastname@example.org